The best Corned Beef I've ever made was in the Crock pot. (You can substitute water for beer, but the flavor won't be the same) NOTE: If you make more than 3-4 lbs., cook it on HIGH. I've made 6-7 lbs., and it won't be done after 9 hours on LOW. ANOTHER NOTE: This makes wonderful sandwiches if you cook it, then chill it before slicing.
- Place potatoes, onions, carrots, and bay leaf in crock pot.
- Trim excess fat from brisket; put meat on top of veges.
- If desired, place cabbage wedges on top of meat.
- Pour beer over all.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat setting 9-11 hours.
- Slice brisket thinly across grain (let it cool 5- 10 minutes for easier slicing).
- Serve with vegetables.