Recipe by papergoddess
The best Corned Beef I've ever made was in the Crock pot. (You can substitute water for beer, but the flavor won't be the same) NOTE: If you make more than 3-4 lbs., cook it on HIGH. I've made 6-7 lbs., and it won't be done after 9 hours on LOW. ANOTHER NOTE: This makes wonderful sandwiches if you cook it, then chill it before slicing.
Top Review by CreamOfWeber
It's a good recipe.
It however fails to mention that you need to put the cabbage in the last hour. That's why many of you are getting overcooked cabbage. Also.... the potatoes should be put in the last 2 hours or so. If you cook them from the start they WILL be brown and mushy.
- 3 -4 lbs corned beef brisket
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 6 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 bay leaf (or two small ones)
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 small cabbage, cut in wedges (optional)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes, onions, carrots, and bay leaf in crock pot.
- Trim excess fat from brisket; put meat on top of veges.
- If desired, place cabbage wedges on top of meat.
- Pour beer over all.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat setting 9-11 hours.
- Slice brisket thinly across grain (let it cool 5- 10 minutes for easier slicing).
- Serve with vegetables.