Recipe by evelyn/athens
Comfort food to the max - and it can all be done with pantry staples (provided you always have a can of corned beef on hand ;-) ). This is fast and delicious. I don't specify vegetables in cup amounts as I figure each person likes their own version with 'more of this and less of that'. This is how I do it - you can adapt the recipe to your own taste. :-)
Top Review by carrie sheridan
this is outstanding - a superquick version is just to thinly slice canned whole potatoes and fry in butter with diced onion [to taste]... add canned corned beef, mashed/broken apart with a fork until heated, and a little crusty... the canned beef is raised in brazil and i think their animals aren't given all the antibiotics and hormones, etc that cattle in the US are routinely given - this is a Really Good, Inexpensive meal to make -
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large potatoes, cooked and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 red pepper, cubed
- 1 green pepper, cubed
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef, cubed
- 4 eggs, fried sunny-side-up (poached is also good)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the butter and olive oil (or just one kind of fat) over medium-high heat in a large cast-iron or heavy-bottomed skillet.
- Add potatoes and allow to get golden and crusty on one side (about 2-3 minutes). Gently turn over with a spatula and do this a couple more times to get a golden crust all over.
- Add onion and garlic and saute with potatoes for 4-5 minutes; then add peppers, sauteeing a couple of minutes more.
- Finally, add corned beef and cook for 8-10 minutes, always flipping hash over every couple of minutes to ensure a crust develops on all sides. This should take about 20 minutes in all. Adjust seasoning - it won't need too much salt because of the corned beef, but LOTS of freshly ground black pepper is a GOOD thing.
- You can prepare the eggs in another pan during these steps.
- Distribute hash mixture amongst 4 plates and top each serving with a fried or poached egg.
- Season with Hot Sauce at table, to taste.