Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Good flavor, the horseradish added a nice kick and the beef broth keeps the dish from being too dry.
- 2 russet potatoes, potatoes (baking, about 1 pound)
- 1 large onion, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped coarse
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons bottled beet horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 lb cooked corned beef, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (from a 3- to 4-pound corned beef brisket)
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Add potatoes to a large saucepan of boiling water and boil 6 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.
- In a large non-stick skillet cook onion and garlic in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is golden.
- Add bell pepper and cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mixture and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in broth, horseradish, and Worcestershire sauce and simmer, stirring, 2 minutes. Add corned beef, potatoes, and salt and pepper to taste and cook over moderate heat, turning hash, until browned and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Serve hash with fried eggs.
- To make corned beef:.
- In a kettle combine beef with cold water to cover by 2 inches and bring water to just a boil, skimming froth. Simmer beef, covered, 3 hours, or until tender. Remove kettle from heat and let beef stand in cooking liquid 20 minutes. Transfer beef to work surface and trim fat. Use beef as part of a boiled dinner and/or for making corned beef on rye. Corned beef keeps, covered and chilled, 4 days.
I was just going to post this in anticipation of left-overs from St. Pat's Day. I just use regular horse radish. To get it nice and crisp, it takes me at least 25 minutes. Also, I usually poach the eggs for this dish, they can be made ahead of time, kept in ice water, then back into simmering water for 1 minute. I first saw this recipe in Gourmet Magazine, March 1994. This one of the best Corned Beef Hash recipes I have ever found! Yumm!! Thanks for posting frozenmargarita!