Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a local breakfast favorite with over easy eggs and some steaming white rice. The mix can be made a day ahead to allow the flavors to blend. The patties will also be easier to make once the mixture has chilled.
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef
- 2 stalks green onions, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- freshly grated black pepper, to taste
- panko breadcrumbs (for dredging) or flour (for dredging)
- oil (for frying)
- Boil cubed potato in salted water till tender, drain and allow to cool.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and mix well, mashing the potato into small chunks throughout the mixture.
- Chill for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Heat enough oil in pan to evenly coat the bottom. (we are not deep frying these!).
- Form the mixture into patties dredge in panko or flour, shake off excess and fry on both sides till golden brown. Add more oil to frying pan as needed.
- Note: Prep and cook time does not include refrigeration time. This step is optional, patties can be formed and fried as soon as mixture is combined. It may be a little loose and not as easy to work with. End result will be just as yummy!
I used 3 potatoes to make this hash, and dry bread crumbs for the coating. I added 1/8th of a teaspoon of garlic powder, two teaspoons would be too much for us. As stated the mixture would be easier to form into patties if chilled, but I did manage to form them without refrigerating. The crunchy crust was a nice change from the usual corned beef hash.