Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This tasty combination of corned beef, tomatoes and onion is topped with fluffy potato
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 12 ounces can corned beef
- 14 ounces can peeled tomatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 size 3 egg, beaten
- Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water for about 10 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Heat the oil and saute the onion for a few minutes until transparent. Lift out with a slotted spoon and put in a bowl.
- Add the corned beef, tomatoes (with their juice), salt and pepper to the onion and mix well. Turn the mixture into an ovenproof dish.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (400°F) or Gas No 6.
- Mash the potatoes, then beat in the milk and beaten egg to make a soft fluffy consistency.
- Spoon the potato on top of the corned beef mixture and level off with a fork.
- Cook for about 25 minutes until the potato is brown and crispy.
This recipe was easy to make and it tastes so much better than the hash you buy in stores! I'm making it instead of buying it from now on. Yummy!
cheap and easy for a work night!
We really enjoyed this casserole. Like the previous revewer I added some corn to it. I did find the corn beef mixture a bit runny, so I would recommend draining some of the juice from the tomatoes. I will definitely make this again. Thanks