Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is my partner's recipe for corn beef, which is absolutely delicious and addictive. We love it cold on sandwiches, or warm with a creamy sauce and boiled vegetables, or simply on bread with mustard. Sure to be a winner!
- 1 -1 7⁄8 kg corned beef, silverside
- 1 cup malt vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 onion
- 6 -12 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup beer
- Place silverside in a pot large enough to accomodate it.
- Stud the bayleaf and cloves into the whole onion and place in pot.
- Add vinegar, sugar and beer to the pot.
- Add as much water as is necessary to cover the silverside.
- Put on heat and bring to the boil.
- Skim off any scum (brown, bubbly impurities that rise out of meat to the surface) as it appears.
- After pot comes to the boil, turn heat down to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for around 2 hours, or until meat is very tender.
- When done, turn off heat. Allow the meat to cool in the liquid, to achieve maximum flavour.
- Drain and prepare according to your tastes (re-heat, or refrigerate for later use).
Fantastic, must admit I cut down on the sugar, 1/4 cup. Great as a hot meal, I added potato, carrot and cabbage near the end of cooking. Fantastic cold on toast with hot mustard and lettuce.