Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I love this dinner on St. Pats day or any day. This is from my mother-in-law. I have been making this for about 26 years. I was not really fond of corned beef till this recipe, as a new cook, it was simple, easy and delicious.
- 3 -4 lbs corned beef brisket
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 medium potatoes, pared
- 5 small carrots, pared
- 1 medium head of cabbage, cut in 6 wedges
- Place corned beef in Dutch oven, and barely cover with hot water; add onion, garlic, cloves,and bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer (do not let boil)1 hour per pound of meat, or till fork tender.
- Remove meat from liquid;add potatoes and carrots. . Cover; bring to boiling and cook 10 minutes.
- Then add cabbage wedges; continue cooking 20 minutes longer or till vegetables are done.
- Spice Glaze:.
- If you like, glaze the corned beef while vegetables cook.
- Spread fat side of meat lightly with prepared mustard.
- Then sprinkle with mixture of 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.
- Place in shallow pan. Bake in moderate oven 350 degrees 15 to 20 minutes or till nicely glazed.