Our family favorite version of corned beef dinner for St. Patrick's Day! Great served with Nana's Irish Soda Bread Nana's Irish Soda Bread With Whiskey Soaked Raisins.
- 3 -4 lbs corned beef brisket (rinsed, with juices and seasoning packet included)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, in chunks
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, sliced
- 1 small head green cabbage, cut in wedges
- 12 ounces your favorite ale (recommend Guinness or Smithwick's Irish Ale, or you can substitute water or apple juice for the ale)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- prepared horseradish, for serving
- coarse grain mustard, for serving
- Place sliced onions, carrots, potatoes, and celery in bottom of the crock-pot.
- Put in the rinsed beef brisket, fat side up. Add the juices and sprinkle with the spices from the seasoning packet.
- Pour ale over all.
- Sprinkle with pepper and add the bay leaf and rosemary.
- Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours (or on high 5-6 hours), until beef and vegetables are done. During the last hour or two add the cabbage wedges. Please note that cook times may vary with different crock-pot models.
- Remove brisket to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes before slicing. Always slice across the grain.
- Serve corned beef and vegetables with horseradish & mustard on the side, with some thick slices of warm Irish Soda Bread slathered in real Irish butter!