Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Our family favorite version of corned beef dinner for St. Patrick's Day! Great served with Nana's Irish Soda Bread Nana's Irish Soda Bread With Whiskey Soaked Raisins.
- 3 -4 lbs corned beef brisket (rinsed, with juices and seasoning packet included)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, in chunks
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, sliced
- 1 small head green cabbage, cut in wedges
- 12 ounces your favorite ale (recommend Guinness or Smithwick's Irish Ale, or you can substitute water or apple juice for the ale)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- prepared horseradish, for serving
- coarse grain mustard, for serving
- Place sliced onions, carrots, potatoes, and celery in bottom of the crock-pot.
- Put in the rinsed beef brisket, fat side up. Add the juices and sprinkle with the spices from the seasoning packet.
- Pour ale over all.
- Sprinkle with pepper and add the bay leaf and rosemary.
- Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours (or on high 5-6 hours), until beef and vegetables are done. During the last hour or two add the cabbage wedges. Please note that cook times may vary with different crock-pot models.
- Remove brisket to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes before slicing. Always slice across the grain.
- Serve corned beef and vegetables with horseradish & mustard on the side, with some thick slices of warm Irish Soda Bread slathered in real Irish butter!
I made this for St. Patrick's Day, and it turned out fantastically! I left out the rosemary and added a little more water, but that's it. The beef came out so tender and sweet, I can't think of a better way to prepare it (I've boiled it before, nowhere near as good). Thanks for the recipe!
This is delicious, Becky. I extracted the corned beef added a glaze to the top, added veggies(sprinkled with herbs,) and roasted for about 15 minutes. Enjoyed this for St. Pat's Day 2010. Sandwiches to follow :) Wish the photo was better, but it's of the left-overs. Guests can be just too annoying to a food fotographer. lol
I made this and it was terrible. I give it no stars. I usually find crock pot cooking good. Perhaps it was the beer but I felt this was the worse receipe I have ever found on internet