Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Serve this easy corned beef dinner with mustard and cabbage salad for a comfort meal. There should be enough corned beef left for sandwiches for lunch the next day.
- 2 lbs corned beef brisket
- 3 potatoes, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut in chunks
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, crushes
- 1⁄2 rutabaga, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock (or water)
- Rinse brisket and place in 18-24 cup crock pot.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, rutabaga, bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns and caraway seeds.
- Pour stock plus 1 cup water over top.
- Cover cook on LOW 9-10 hours or until beef is fork tender.
- Remove beef and slice.
- Arrange in centre of large platter.
- Surround with vegetables.
- Serve with strained cooking liquid if desired.