Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is another recipe that my mother made for us. Mother could always make a great meal even while being very frugal.
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned corned beef, cut up
- 1⁄3 cup minced celery
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut up corned beef into small cubes. Set aside.
- In sauté pan, lightly sauté onions, celery in the vegetable oil, just until soft. Let cool approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Stir together corned beef, sautéed vegetables, egg. Set aside.
- In same sauté pan, melt butter. Stir in flour and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add milk to make roux; cook until thickened. Season with ground black pepper. Remove from heat and stir into meat mixture.
- Place in greased 8x8-inch baking dish.
- Mix bread crumbs with 3 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle over the top of corned beef mixture.
- Bake until bubbly - approximately 30 minutes.
The recipe worked as it should, but in the end it was not overly appetizing. (it looked like dog food, to be honest) Having never been exposed much to corned beef, I was hopeful, but to me it just tasted like I used canned spam. I may consider trying again, but using fresh corned beef instead of the canned.