Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a tasty casserole layered with mashed potatoes corned beef and cheese. If desired, this casserole can be assembled up to 8 hours ahead, just cover and chill, remove from the fridge 30 minutes before baking. Prep time includes boiling the potatoes.
- 5 large baking potatoes, peeled, and cut into cubes
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream (low-fat is okay)
- 1⁄4 cup milk (1% is okay)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 cups green cabbage, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb deli corned beef, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed (or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup thousand island dressing
- 3 cups shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika, for topping (or more or less)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 11" x 7" baking pan.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan; add water to cover, and bring to a boil; cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for around 20 minutes, or until tender; drain well.
- In a bowl, combine the cooked potato, sour cream, milk and salt and pepper; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes, or until smooth; set aside.
- Heat a skillet (with 2 Tbsp oil) until hot.
- Add in the cabbage, corned beef, caraway seeds; saute for 4 minutes, or until the cabbage wilts; remove from heat, stir in the salad dressing; set aside.
- Spread half of the potato mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish; top with the cabbage/corned beef mixture, and sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups Swiss cheese.
- Spread with the remaining half of the potato mixture over the cheese; top with the remaining 1-1/2 cups Swiss cheese.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake (350 degrees) for 35-40 minutes, or until golden.
- Note: If desired, the casserole ingredients may be doubled, and baked in a 13 x 9" baking pan.