Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delish fried sandwich that is great for lunch or a hearty snack. Tastes great with turkey, mortedella, corned beef or even salami. Original recipe from Super Food Ideas magazine but adapted to my families tastes.
- 8 slices whole meal bread (2 cm thick)
- 4 slices gruyere cheese
- 4 slices corned beef
- 1⁄3 cup tomato chutney
- 10 g baby spinach leaves (around 20 leaves)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Butter bread and place 4 slices buttered side down on board. Top each slice with cheese, corned beef, 1 tablespoon of chutney and 1/4 of the spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Top each with slice of remaining bread, buttered side up.
- Heat a large heavy based frying pan over low heat. Place 2 sandwiches in pan and cook for 3 - 4 minutes or until bottom is golden. Carefully turn sandwiches over and cover the pan. (covering helps cheese melt). Cook for further 3 minutes or until bases are golden.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Cut sandwiches in half and serve.
A lovely sandwich to make with leftover corned beef. I did mine in a sandwich press with tasty cheese & just loved how the cheese & chutney all melted together. Yum!
This was a delicious toasted sanger, a great combo of flavours that I dont think I would have put together otherwise. I made a mega sandwich...using the ingredients listed but not sticking strictly to the quantities. I used Baxters brand Tomato Chutney with peppers...Mmmm. Thanks for sharing :)