I love the convenience of using a crockpot and love finding new recipes for it.
Make and share this Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner for the Slow Cooker recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs small red potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 (2 -2 1/2 lb) corned beef brisket, with seasonings packet
- 2 cups apple juice
- 8 pieces cabbage, thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon horseradish (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Place potatoes, carrots and onion in 5 to 6-1/2 quart slow cooker. Top with corned beef brisket; sprinkle with contents of seasoning packet. Add apple juice and enough water to just cover brisket.
- Cover; cook on Low setting 10 to 12 hours.
- About 40 minutes before serving, remove beef from slow cooker; place on serving platter and cover to keep warm.
- Add cabbage wedges to vegetables and broth in slow cooker. Increase heat setting to High; cover and cook 30 to 35 minutes longer or until cabbage is crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine all horseradish sauce ingredients; mix well.
- To serve, cut corned beef across grain into thin slices. With slotted spoon, remove vegetables from slow cooker.
- Serve corned beef and vegetables with sauce.
This was really good! I used (cheap) beer since I didn't have apple juice and I kind of missed seeing the part about adding enough water to just cover the meat, not that I could have in my too-small crock pot. I had a 3 lb brisket and cooked it for about 7 1/2 hours, the last 2 hours on High. It was absolutely the most tender corned beef I've ever made. It was the first time my son had had corned beef and cabbage- now he and the husband are arguing over who gets the leftovers, what little there are.
I just want to comment on the Horseradish sauce.. it was fantasic and out of this world! it made the greatest addition to the corned beef other than the same ole' brown mustard I have used for years. I tripled the recipe and handed it out to all my family members to try and just got a phone call that it's pretty much gone! everyone went crazy for it! many thanks! and we will certainly add it every year!
This was decent. The amount of water could have been cut way down, and the veggies needed to be cooked longer on high to be tender. The sauce was fabulous, though!