Recipe by carolinafan
I love the convenience of using a crockpot and love finding new recipes for it.
Top Review by KMLWPA
This was really good! I used (cheap) beer since I didn't have apple juice and I kind of missed seeing the part about adding enough water to just cover the meat, not that I could have in my too-small crock pot. I had a 3 lb brisket and cooked it for about 7 1/2 hours, the last 2 hours on High. It was absolutely the most tender corned beef I've ever made. It was the first time my son had had corned beef and cabbage- now he and the husband are arguing over who gets the leftovers, what little there are.
- 2 lbs small red potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 (2 -2 1/2 lb) corned beef brisket, with seasonings packet
- 2 cups apple juice
- 8 pieces cabbage, thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon horseradish (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes, carrots and onion in 5 to 6-1/2 quart slow cooker. Top with corned beef brisket; sprinkle with contents of seasoning packet. Add apple juice and enough water to just cover brisket.
- Cover; cook on Low setting 10 to 12 hours.
- About 40 minutes before serving, remove beef from slow cooker; place on serving platter and cover to keep warm.
- Add cabbage wedges to vegetables and broth in slow cooker. Increase heat setting to High; cover and cook 30 to 35 minutes longer or until cabbage is crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine all horseradish sauce ingredients; mix well.
- To serve, cut corned beef across grain into thin slices. With slotted spoon, remove vegetables from slow cooker.
- Serve corned beef and vegetables with sauce.