1/1 Photo of Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Alan in SW Florida's Note:
This is the American meal of choice for St. Patrick's Day, March 17th. If your brisket comes with an additional packet of spices, add it instead of the pepper and bay leaves called for in the ingredient list.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 -2 1/2 lb) corned beef brisket
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 medium carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- 10 -12 new potatoes (1 pound)
- 1 small cabbage, cut into 6 wedges (1 pound)
- 1Trim fat from meat.
- 2Place in a 6-to 8-quart pot; add juices and spices from package of beef. Add enough water to cover meat. If no spice packet, add pepper and bay leaves. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- 3Add carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, and onions to meat. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- 4Scrub potatoes; halve or quarter. Add potatoes and cabbage to pot. Cover and cook 20 minutes more or until vegetables and meat are tender.
- 5Discard bay leaves, if used.
- 6Remove meat from pot. Thinly slice meat across the grain.
- 7Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving platter.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (690 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 677.6
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 148.0 mg
- Sodium 1787.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 36.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: