This is adapted from a recipe on southernfood.about.com - it is really easy and delicious. Just be careful that you don't let the cabbage get into contact with the sides of the crock pot or it will burn where it touches the appliance.
- Lightly butter or spray a crock pot.
- Layer potato slices over bottom of pot with carrots.
- Place corned beef on vegetables.
- Slice cabbage into wedges and arrange around meat.
- Sprinkle with pepper and add water.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting for 7 to 8 hours until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove meat to platter; cover with foil and rest for 10 - 15 minutes before slicing.