Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Easy and yummy use for leftover corned beef. No canned soup needed.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups diced corned beef, cooked
- 3 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups low-fat milk
- 6 ounces shredded swiss cheese, 1 1/2 cups
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup crushed crouton
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease/spray a 13 x 9 baking dish and set aside.
- Cook macaroni according to package; drain and place in a large bowl with the diced corned beef and chopped cabbage; set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan.
- Saute the chopped onion and garlic in the melted butter until tender.
- Stir in the flour and stir until dissolved.
- Gradually stir in the milk.
- Stir in the cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and caraway seeds. Continue to cook, stirring often until cheese is melted and mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Pour over the macaroni/beef/cabbage mixture and toss to evenly mix.
- Pour into the prepared 13 x 9 dish.
- Sprinkle with the crushed croutons. Dot with 2 tbsp cut up butter; optional.
- COVER and bake for 25 minutes.
- UNCOVER and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
It was really good, only I used canned corn beef .. not a good idea. CS