Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A lot of the flavor depends on the cure of your corned beef, but I have found this to be the most flavorful way to cook it (and easy too!) I hope that you enjoy! I do serve this with boiled new potatoes, but I boil them seperately so that I can use the leftovers for potato salad.
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 lbs fairly lean corned beef (trimmed if needed)
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1⁄2 head small cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
- prepared horseradish
- Put the spices in a dutch oven or other pot, add 2 cups water, and stir well.
- Place the corned beef into the pot and just cover with additional water.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for approximately 2 hours 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots to the pot and cook 15 minutes. (If you are boiling potatoes, start them now.).
- Add the cabbage to the pot and cook 15 minutes, covered.
- Remove the corned beef from the pot and slice (against the grain) while the cabbage finishes cooking.
- Serve the corned beef with the carrots and cabbage (and potatoes) and prepared horseradish.