Recipe by Gwen35
When I was young, we used to call this "Jigg's Dinner" and we all loved it. It's perfect for a cold fall or winter day. The leftover meat makes awesome sandwiches (on rye or pumpernickle bread) providing there are any leftovers! Be careful you don't bite into a black pepper (you may want to tie them in a cheesecloth - the taste will still come through).
- 3 lbs corned beef, lean
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 carrots, cut in chunks
- 1 head cabbage, small and cut in wedges
- 6 red potatoes, cut in large pieces, unpeeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Place corned beef in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Add onions, garlic, peppercorns, thyme and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until beef is very tender.
- After two hours add carrots and potatoes to cooking liquid.
- Bring to a boil, reduce head and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add wedges of cabbage and continue cooking for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Slice beef, place on serving platter and surround with vegetables, pouring some of the cooking liquid over everything.
- Garnish with baby gerkins.
- Nice served with whole wheat buns.