Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Ready For St. Patricks Day?To serve corned beef brisket cut it across the grain into thin slices.
- 2 medium onions
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) corned beef brisket
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange rind
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 small cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- Place onions in a 3 1/2-, 4-, 5-,or 6-quart crockery cooker.
- Trim fat from brisket.
- If necessary, cut brisket to fit into cooker: place atop onions.
- In a bowl combine apple juice, sugar, orange peel, mustard, and cloves: Pour over brisket.
- Place cabbage atop Brisket.
- Cover: cook on low setting for ten to twelve hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours.
Rhonda, your corned beef brisket turned out quite moist and juicy, made exactly according to your instructions. I have been making corned beef brisket for a long, long time and have become used to the standard spices that I use normally (bay leaves, peppercorns, etc). I'm sure that there are many who will enjoy the flavor of the apple juice, brown sugar and orange rind. Although, I am always willing to try new dishes, sometimes they do not always work out for me. I guess I am an old die-hard traditionalist.
I tried this recipe last night, made it exactly to directions with exception for doubling to fill 2 crockpots and left out the onions and added red skinned potatoes and baby carrots. the meat and carrots and potatoes tasted very good. However, the cabbage tasted strongly of clove and noone that tried it liked it. Anyone want to point out what I did wrong? Thank you.
We were very impressed with this corned beef recipe! I followed your easy directions, and it came out moist and tasty...The ingredients sounded unusual, but, it all blended together to make a very tasty dish... Next time, I'd like to try adding the cabbage wedges about the last hour of cooking...Think it would result in a "crisper" veggie... We really enjoyed this easy, and trouble-free recipe, Rhonda... Thanks so much for sharing... Laudee