Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
I love corned beef and love to find new ways to prepare it. This homey Irish soup is adapted from " The New Professional Chef".
- 3 lbs corned beef brisket, cubed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 quarts beef broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 8 ounces pearl barley
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- Heat oil in a large pot, add corned beef and brown thoroughly.
- Add remaining ingredients except tomatoes, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1/2 hour.
- Add tomatoes and simmer 1/2 hour.
Excellent soup! We had MORE than enough for 4 servings. Tastes great heated up the next day.