Recipe by JustJanS
The way my mum made it, the way I make it. Mum used to cook her veggies (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, tiny onions) in the water, putting them in about 45 minutes before the meat was cooked. I find them over salty done this way. Reserve a half a cup of strained cooking liquid to make my Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef.Leftovers make good sandwiches with relish or chutney.
Top Review by Baker Barb
This was wonderful! I had never cooked corned beef before (other than boiling in a bag) and this was a great, easy recipe. My corned beef was a little smaller, maybe 1.5lbs so I simmered it for about 1.5 hours instead of 2. Great taste, easy to make, my family of 4 loved it. We also used the mustard Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef which was a perfect match. Loved it!
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 10 peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 3 cloves
- 1 onion, peeled, quartered
- 2 kg corned beef (silverside is good)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan, making sure there is enough water to cover the piece of meat.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook for about 2 hours, or until very tender.
- Allow to rest in the water for about 20 minutes before slicing.
- Recommend serving with Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef recipe#21617.