Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The way my mum made it, the way I make it. Mum used to cook her veggies (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, tiny onions) in the water, putting them in about 45 minutes before the meat was cooked. I find them over salty done this way. Reserve a half a cup of strained cooking liquid to make my Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef.Leftovers make good sandwiches with relish or chutney.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 10 peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 3 cloves
- 1 onion, peeled, quartered
- 2 kg corned beef (silverside is good)
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan, making sure there is enough water to cover the piece of meat.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook for about 2 hours, or until very tender.
- Allow to rest in the water for about 20 minutes before slicing.
- Recommend serving with Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef recipe#21617.
This was wonderful! I had never cooked corned beef before (other than boiling in a bag) and this was a great, easy recipe. My corned beef was a little smaller, maybe 1.5lbs so I simmered it for about 1.5 hours instead of 2. Great taste, easy to make, my family of 4 loved it. We also used the mustard Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef which was a perfect match. Loved it!
My husband said this was the best corned beef he'd ever had. My brisket came with a little packet of spices (I recognized juniper, bay, and whole mustard, not sure what else was in there) which I added along with everything else. My brisket started floating about midway through the cook time, so I weighted it down with a salad plate. I also completely forgot to buy cabbage, so we turned off the heat about 15 minutes shy of 2 hours and left it to cool in the broth for almost an hour while we went to the store--with no apparent harm done.
Yum! Like Pat not a lot different to how I normally cook corned beef but the ketchup and little extra sugar gives an extra touch of sweetness that was great. I cooked a few vegies along with it but gave the beef a bit of a soak and rinse before hand so it wasn't too salty.