Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
An absolutely incredible cornbread recipe! I don't remember where I found this one but it was while I was in grad school. I invited the crew over and made this recipe to accompany a pot of chili. All I can say is that it was excellent and much enjoyed! If there are leftovers, excellent reheated or toasted. A lot of ingredients but.... yummmmmm!
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup grated onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh jalapeno pepper
- Mix dry ingredients together in lg bowl.
- In sm bowl, mix together eggs, milk,& butter; add to dry ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients and combine thoroughly.
- Fill lightly-greased 12 c muffin pans ½ full w/ batter (or turn into greased 9"x13" pan).
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 mins (longer for pan) or til top springs back when lightly pressed; remove from oven.
- Let cool before turning muffins out.
Absolutely incredible is an understatement. We LOVED this cornbread! It's colorful, cuts and holds together well, and tastes divine! The jalapeno adds just enough zip, without being hot or overpowering. Next time I'll go ahead and add the full can of corn. It took around 30 minutes for this to cook in the pan. Happily prepared for the Show Your Flour Power Challenge.