1/3 Photos of Cornbread With Dried Cranberries
From the blog biggreencookbook.com and the original recipe from Williams-Sonoma. I rearranged the recipe and added a few things. The maple butter recipe is from about.com. It's quite good but very rich. As a rule, I will usually be serving this cornbread with a meal- thus saving the maple butter spread for special occasions. A teaser recipe presented to you to jump start the beginning of autumn in a few weeks. --Tasty Dish-- and I enjoyed the cornbread today for elevenses!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar (okay to use granulated sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (my addition)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (*I used orange flavored dried cranberries from Trader Joes)
Maple Butter Spread (optional)
- 1*Note: you can mimic the flavor of Trader Joes' brand of orange flavored dried cranberries by stirring about 1/4 teaspoon of orange extract into the batter.
- 2CORNBREAD: Preheat oven to 375 degrees (190 degree C).
- 3In a small saucepan over medium low heat, melt [2 tablespoons] of butter and set aside. Cut up the remaining 2 tablespoons butter into an 8-inch cast iron skillet.
- 4Place pan in oven until it is hot and the butter is melted and sizzling, about 1-2 minutes (Watch carefully!) Using oven mitts, rotate the pan as need to coat bottom evenly with melted butter. Remove from oven.
- 5In large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Make a well in the center. Whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter and beaten egg and pour it into the cornmeal mixture.
- 6Using a wooden spoon, mix the batter just until it comes together, okay to have some lumps. DO NOT overmix the batter.
- 7Coarsely chop the cranberries and stir them into the batter. Tip: to make chopping the cranberries easier, wet the knife on both sides. Spread batter evenly into the hot pan.
- 8Bake at 375 degrees until the top springs back when pressed gently in the center, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- 9Let cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Best served warm.
- 10If desired, spread some of the maple butter onto each slice of cornbread.
- 11MAPLE BUTTER: Using a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, heat maple syrup until 235 degrees Fahrenheit (soft ball stage on a candy thermometer).
- 12Stir in butter.
- 13Pour mixture into a [deep] bowl (use a *deep* bowl to avoid splattering yourself with the hot liquid!), stir in the vanilla extract and beat with electric mixer until thick and creamy, about 4 minutes.
- 14Keep stored in glass container in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornbread With Dried Cranberries
Serving Size: 1 (744 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1663.1
- Calories from Fat 513
- Total Fat 57.0 g
- Saturated Fat 32.7 g
- Cholesterol 317.9 mg
- Sodium 2177.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 262.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 122.0 g
- Protein 30.3 g