Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe my parents made 50 years ago. I have tweaked it a little by adding the cheese and cornbread topping to please my family's tastebuds. It's so easy for a quick evening meal - add a salad and dinner's ready. If you don't have self-rising cornmeal, use 1 cup cornmeal, 1T baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt and mix well.
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey, no less than 90/10
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 16 ounces pinto beans (canned, washed and drained)
- 15 ounces stewed tomatoes, canned
- 6 dashes hot sauce (Tobasco)
- 1 -2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mexi-blend cheese (or shredded) or 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (or shredded)
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large iron skillet, brown meat with chopped bacon, canola oil, onion and bell pepper.
- Then add pinto beans, stewed tomatoes, hot sauce, liquid smoke, and salt until well blended and heated through.
- If you aren't using an iron skillet, lightly grease a casserole dish and then evenly spread meat mixture in baking dish, otherwise leave meat mixture in iron skillet.
- Top meat mixture evenly with grated cheese.
- Whisk cornmeal and milk together and pour over cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until lightly browned on top.