Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have been making this for Thankgiving for years. My daughter asked me to post it. The recipe makes plenty. I usually freeze half of it to use for Christmas dinner as well.
- Sweat vegetables until tender in 1 tbsp butter.
- Make package of rice according to directions on box.
- Remove vegetables to a bowl and then brown sausage in pan until no longer pink.
- put 2 cans of chicken broth and stick of butter into a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Empty cornbread stuffing mix into large bowl.
- Pour chicken broth mixture over cornbread mixture, toss with fork until liquid is absorbed.
- 7. Toss in rice, celery, onions, and sausage and mix until combined.
- 8. Add poultry seasoning and sage to taste.
I look for recipes that I can turn Gluten Free that the whole family loves ... and this is a winner! I used Bob's Red Mill gluten free cornbread mix and a gluten free bouillon, and instead of pork sausage - I used ground turkey mixed with sage and ground fennel seed.
I hate stuffing. I don't do Stove Top. I only make stuffing for my husband on Thanksgiving and then toss the rest as it sits in the refrigerator for days afterward. I decided to try this for something new and because the ingredients sounded appealing. I will never make another Stove Top box of mush again. Not only did this recipe turn me into a stuffing lover, but my children loved it as well. Very good and thank you for listening to your daughter and posting it!
This recipe is sooo good. I don't know why I don't make it to have at anytime during the year. I guess having it only on the holidays makes it extra-special. Thanks for sharing your fabulous recipe, mom!