Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Cornbread really goes upscale with this dish, and is worthy of any holiday meal! From Bon Apetit.
- 8 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 3⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups lightly packed grated jalapeno jack cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 1⁄3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed, drained
- 1⁄2 cup drained chopped roasted red pepper, from jar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Butter 9x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Mix cornmeal and next 5 ingredients in large bowl.
- Add 7 tablespoons butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk buttermilk and eggs in medium bowl to blend.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir until blended.
- Mix in cheese, corn, red peppers, basil and onion.
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake corn bread until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool 20 minutes in pan on rack.
- Cut corn bread into squares.