Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Who knew there was a National Cornbread Festival? This recipe was a finalist at the 2007 cook off.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package taco seasoning mix, divided
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) packagemartha white cotton country cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- sour cream
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In 10 1/2-inch Lodge cast-iron skillet, cook turkey, breaking apart with spatula, until no longer pink and cooked through. Reserve 2 teaspoons taco seasoning; add remaining seasoning, 1/2 cup salsa, and 1/4 cup water to turkey. Cook, stirring until thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from skillet. Wipe out skillet with paper towel; grease.
- In large bowl, combine cornbread mix, 1 egg, and milk; mix well. Pour into skillet; spoon turkey mixture over batter.
- In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, 2 teaspoons taco seasoning, and 2 eggs; mix well. Spread over turkey. Bake at 325 degrees F 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes.
- In small food processor, combine sour cream, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, and salt; process until smooth. Gently spread over cheesecake. Serve warm; top with salsa.