Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This casserole is a quick weeknight meal served with a salad. I have been making it for years and my family loves it.
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In large skillet brown onion, beef, and garlic.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in olives, pinto beans, tomato sauce, sugar, and chili powder.
- Cook until heated through and bubbling; continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Pour meat mixture into 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- In mixing bowl stir together 1 cup cheese, cornmeal, flour, milk, egg, butter, baking powder, and salt.
- Spread cornbread mixture over meat mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cornbread comes out clean.
- Remove from oven; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
Good and filling. Great for a rainy fall day.
This was a little bland to me, but I like my chili a little spicier. I haven't given up on this recipe, and I will try it again, but this time I'll add some cayenne, more chili powder, and cumin (which I added this time). I think it has possibilities, but just a little less "potent" that I would have like. Sorry.
This recipe is DELICIOUS!! If you love chili and corn bread together it dosn't get any better! My family likes to top it with a dollop of sour cream, very good.