Prep 15 mins
Cook 23 mins
I've been making this dish for about 25 years, and I don't remember where I got the recipe. It is easy and very good. I sometimes add sliced black olives and frozen corn works just as well as canned.
- In skillet, brown meat; drain.
- Stir in taco seasoning, water, corn, green pepper and tomato sauce.
- Pour into 2 quart casserole.
- Prepare cornbread mix as directed and add half the french fried onions to the batter.
- Spoon around the outer edge of the casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Top with cheese and remaining onions.
- Bake 2-3 minutes longer.
Quick to make and tasty! Tastes better the next day. TIP: Don't forget to get milk and eggs for the cornbread - otherwise, two trips to the store.
Very quick and easy. I added a can of Rotel to it to spice it up a bit more. Even my husband liked it, and he's not too fond of dishes with cornbread toppings.
Nice throw together dinner. I did have to sub a couple of ingredients. I used a can of diced tomatoes (pureed)for the tomato sauce and I had to use up a red pepper. :)