Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe won the 2000 Martha White Bake - Off. It was created by Kay Gay and Hellen Hollansworth of Gulf Shores, Alabama
- 3 slices bacon
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted, cooled
- 1 (6 ounce) package Martha White buttermilk or 1 (6 ounce) package Martha White yellow cornbread mix
- 6 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli or 1 (10 ounce) package spinach, thawed, well drained
- 1 lb shelled deveined cooked shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces finely shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cook bacon in 10 1/2-inch cast iron skillet until crisp.
- Drain on paper towel; cool.
- Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings; drain off remaining drippings from skillet.
- Wipe skillet clean with paper towel.
- Return reserved bacon drippings to skillet; place in oven to heat.
- Beat eggs in large bowl.
- Add milk, butter, cornbread mix and hot pepper sauce; stir until well blended.
- Stir in onion, broccoli, shrimp and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.
- Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese evenly over top.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until set and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with bacon and parsley.