Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Clipped from an issue of Holiday Cooking several years ago. This is my adaptation. This will be enough stuffing to fill an 8-10 pound bird.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk pork sausage or 1⁄2 lb turkey sausage (such as Jimmy Dean)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter (NO SUBSTITUTES)
- 1 medium pear, peeled,cored,chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium apple, peeled,cored,chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cornbread stuffing mix
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet until no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add butter, chopped pear and apple, and salt to the pan.
- Stir to combine with cooked sausage and cook 1 minute.
- Mix together the dry stuffing mix with the raisins and nuts.
- Add the sausage mixture to the dry mixture and toss to coat.
- Add enough water to moisten.
- Use this mixture to stuff turkey or other meat and cook according to your recipe for the stuffed meat.
- Or, put the mixture into a 2 quart casserole and bake, covered with foil, at 325 F for 40 minutes or until heated through.