Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Clipped from an issue of Holiday Cooking several years ago. This is my adaptation. This will be enough stuffing to fill an 8-10 pound bird.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk pork sausage or 1⁄2 lb turkey sausage (such as Jimmy Dean)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter (NO SUBSTITUTES)
- 1 medium pear, peeled,cored,chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium apple, peeled,cored,chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cornbread stuffing mix
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet until no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add butter, chopped pear and apple, and salt to the pan.
- Stir to combine with cooked sausage and cook 1 minute.
- Mix together the dry stuffing mix with the raisins and nuts.
- Add the sausage mixture to the dry mixture and toss to coat.
- Add enough water to moisten.
- Use this mixture to stuff turkey or other meat and cook according to your recipe for the stuffed meat.
- Or, put the mixture into a 2 quart casserole and bake, covered with foil, at 325 F for 40 minutes or until heated through.