Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the Thanksgiving stuffing that most of my family prefers. I got it from Food TV. It's a recipe from Cock N' Bull Restaurant, Peddler's Village, Lahaska, Pennsylvania. The first time I made it, my kid's asked.." you're putting apples in the stuffing?..Yuck" But they gobbled it down.. they never used to even like stuffing at all before this one. Then every year since then, they beg for "the stuffing with the apples in it" This year, I'm making two kinds of stuffing. Bev has a near duplicate of my Grandmas stuffing, #44692 which I love so much. So I'm making both this year. I'm posting this so it is easy for me to find closer to Bird Day! It's moist and tasty. I usually make it in my slow cooker, but it's meant for stuffing a bird.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk pork sausage (I use sage sausage)
- 1 cup small diced onion
- 1 cup small diced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cups crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups cubed stale bread
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 large peeled cored diced apples
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- Sauté sausage until browned.
- Remove from pan and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Sauté onions and celery in butter.
- Add sage, rosemary and thyme.
- When mixture is softened, about 3 minutes, put into bowl with sausage.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- If mixture is too dry, add more stock.
- Stuff into bird, bake along side during last 45 minutes of cooking, or cook in a crockpot on low for up to 3 hrs taking care to stir once in a while and adding more stock or water if it gets dry.
I made this for Thanksgiving this year. I also made another batch of regular corn bread stuffing, because one of my sisters wrinkled her nose when I said I was going to put sausage and apples in our stuffing. Well this one is the one that everyone ate and they raved about it. I probably had 30 people there and everyone who tried it loved it. I'm going to make it again for Christmas but I'm going to put it in muffin cups. My dad said we should have finger food this year. * Variations I did were: I used all cornbread, instead of regular bread, and i used all of the grease from the sausage for some of the liquid. It stated to do this in another recipe. It did not turn out greasy, but wonderful. I used farmland sausage with apples in the sausage. (Still added the apples that were called for.) I didn't have any red pepper, but I have some this time.
I made a vegetarian version of this for Thanksgiving by substituting ground walnuts for the sausage and veggie broth for the chicken stock. I also left out the red peppers as they are not popular with some of my family. I made it in the crock pot and it was truly rich and delicious. Thanks!
OOH I get to be 1st! DH picked this one to have for Thanksgiving this year. It was excellent!!! Love the fresh herbs. The only adjustment I didn't know to make was that since I didn't cook the stuffing IN the turkey, I should have used more stock because it came out a little dry. But it was easy to make & delicious. What more would anyone want? Happy Thanksgiving!!