Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This looks like a delicious variation on a wonderful comfort food from my childhood. My mom's recipe for stuffed bell peppers is the best, and I'll post it soon.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix, prepared and baked according to package directions cooled and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- 6 medium blanched bell peppers
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- Brown the meat in the bacon drippings.
- Add the onion, scallions, celery, salt and pepper.
- Cook until done.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the crumbled cornbread and cheese.
- Stir in the egg.
- Mix well.
- Fill the peppers with the stuffing.
- Place in a baking dish.
- Combine the tomato sauce and water and pour the mixture over the stuffed peppers.
- Bake uncovered, until the peppers are done about 1 hour covered and 15 minutes uncovered to brown.