1/3 Photos of Cornbread Sticks
We like spicy so I added some Louisiana hot sauce to the mixture or you can add in a finely chopped jalapeno pepper in place of the bell peppers or use both, or about 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste. Next time you make chili, serve these on the side, they are so good! If you don't have any cornbread molds, you can just drop in some batter (about 3-4 tablespoons) into a regular size muffin tins, the cornbread will come out in a round shape... adjust the baking time. Yield is only estimated depending on size of the molds. These are best served warm.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated (can use more)
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper (can use green pepper or use both, very finely chopped)
- 1Set oven to 400°F.
- 2Coat cast-iron stick molds liberally with oil.
- 3In a bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, dark sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- 4In another bowl whisk together buttermilk, melted butter and egg; add into the dry ingredients.
- 5Add in the chopped bell pepper and shredded cheddar cheese; mix to combine (add in more buttermilk if needed to create a pourable consistency).
- 6Place the oiled cast-iron molds in the oven for about 5 minutes (make certain to have the cornmeal batter ready to pour into the hot molds after 5 minutes).
- 7Carefully remove the hot molds from oven and evenly divide/fill the batter between each mold.
- 8Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the corn sticks test done (it might take more or less time depending on the size of molds).
- 9Using a sharp knife, gently lift out the sticks from the molds.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornbread Sticks
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.1
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 34.1 mg
- Sodium 388.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 5.1 g