Nita Holleman's Note:
This recipe makes delicious, moist cornbread. Easy to prepare. Will not embarass you, but bring raves at mealtime.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix (White Lily Buttermilk White Cornbread Mix recommended or Martha White Hot Rize)
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup very hot water
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (or milk)
- 1 large fresh egg, beaten lightly
- 1/4 cup melted butter or 1/4 cup bacon drippings or 1/4 cup oil (or mixture)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda (Mix in well just before placing mixture in pan and in hot oven)
- 1Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees F.
- 2If you have a large seasoned black iron skillet, add 3 tablespoons oil to it and place it in the oven while it heats.
- 3Otherwise, place oil in a baking pan to heat.
- 4In a medium bowl, combine meal, salt, sugar.
- 5Add HOT water, stir in and let sit about 5 minutes.
- 6Add lightly beaten egg.
- 7Stir in to combine.
- 8Add buttermilk or milk and mix well.
- 9Add melted butter, bacon drippings or oil.
- 10Mix well.
- 11Remove baking pan from oven with hot pads.
- 12Stir in the 1/8 teaspoon baking soda into cornbread mixture.
- 13Pour mixture into hot oiled pan.
- 14Place in preheated oven and bake at 375 Degrees F.
- 15for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 16A clean toothpick stuck in the center should come out clean.
- 17SERVE CORNBREAD HOT WITH BUTTER.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornbread Southern Style ala Nita
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.4
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 57.6 mg
- Sodium 1041.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 6.1 g