Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe makes delicious, moist cornbread. Easy to prepare. Will not embarass you, but bring raves at mealtime.
- 2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix (White Lily Buttermilk White Cornbread Mix recommended or Martha White Hot Rize)
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup very hot water
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk (or milk)
- 1 large fresh egg, beaten lightly
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings or 1⁄4 cup oil (or mixture)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda (Mix in well just before placing mixture in pan and in hot oven)
- Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees F.
- If you have a large seasoned black iron skillet, add 3 tablespoons oil to it and place it in the oven while it heats.
- Otherwise, place oil in a baking pan to heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine meal, salt, sugar.
- Add HOT water, stir in and let sit about 5 minutes.
- Add lightly beaten egg.
- Stir in to combine.
- Add buttermilk or milk and mix well.
- Add melted butter, bacon drippings or oil.
- Mix well.
- Remove baking pan from oven with hot pads.
- Stir in the 1/8 teaspoon baking soda into cornbread mixture.
- Pour mixture into hot oiled pan.
- Place in preheated oven and bake at 375 Degrees F.
- for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- A clean toothpick stuck in the center should come out clean.
- SERVE CORNBREAD HOT WITH BUTTER.