Recipe by Timothy H.
Went to a garage sale and this lady has a great collection of cooking books. So I purchased one called Cooking from the cupboard. Meals in minutes from your cupboard. Couldn't beat the price .50 for a hardback cook book with over 200+ recipes. This recipe is making corn bread from scratch,,,,no Jiffy Mix here!
Top Review by Deb G
This is among the top 3 cornbread recipes ever, and I have lived in the southern US all my life! I wasn't exactly sure about the bacon quantity, so I put 1/4 cup of bacon cooked and broken up into small pieces. It was excellent, but I might put more next time. Is there ever too much bacon?? Thank you for sharing this recipe!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 bacon, bit's real
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, unthawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Coat an 8x8 baking dish or use your cast iron corn bread skillet.
- In a large bowl mix in the cornmeal, flour, bacon bits, baking power, salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, honey, brown sugar and oil. Stir in the corn. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until completely moistened, do not over mix.
- Pour into prepared baking dish or cast iron pan and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve.