Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Every good Southern cook knows how to make excellent cornbread. I'm posting this tried and true family recipe here for my 2 teenage girls, who I'm sure will one day be fantastic cooks.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 cups white cornmeal mix
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Place butter in a 10 inch cast-iron skillet.
- Heat in a 425 degree oven for 5 minutes, or until butter is melted.
- Remove from oven and tilt pan slightly to coat sides, all around.
- Combine cornmeal mix, flour, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir together buttermilk and eggs.
- Add to dry ingredients; stir until just moistened.
- Pour batter over the melted butter in skillet.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Ya know? This reminds me of the cornbread I have made since I was 10. I have made "fancier" versions over the years, but my family always prefers the basic one.
Fauve,This is an excellent basic cornbread recipe,very easy and turns out great each and every time you make it.Darlene