Recipe by Fauve
Every good Southern cook knows how to make excellent cornbread. I'm posting this tried and true family recipe here for my 2 teenage girls, who I'm sure will one day be fantastic cooks.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 cups white cornmeal mix
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Place butter in a 10 inch cast-iron skillet.
- Heat in a 425 degree oven for 5 minutes, or until butter is melted.
- Remove from oven and tilt pan slightly to coat sides, all around.
- Combine cornmeal mix, flour, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir together buttermilk and eggs.
- Add to dry ingredients; stir until just moistened.
- Pour batter over the melted butter in skillet.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.