Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
I'm all for the unusual. This is delightfully unusual and delish! Adapted from Cooking Light.
Make and share this Cornbread Shortcake With Smoked Ham and Peach Salsa-Savory recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups diced fresh peaches
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries, diced
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 slices smoked ham
- In a medium glass bowl combine the first 9 ingredients (from the diced peaches to the 1 T. red pepper flakes). Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Using the cooking spray, lightly spray an 8 inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, sliced green onions and red pepper flakes.
- Whisk together well, making a well in the center.
- In a small bowl combine the buttermilk, oil and egg.
- Whisk well.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until just moist.
- Spoon batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat melt butter.
- Add ham to pan and saute for 2-3 minutes, turning once.
- Cut shortcake into small squares.
- Place 1 piece cornbread centered on each plate.
- Top each with salsa, ham, another square of shortcake, off centered, and salsa again.