Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
I'm all for the unusual. This is delightfully unusual and delish! Adapted from Cooking Light.
- 3 cups diced fresh peaches
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries, diced
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 slices smoked ham
- In a medium glass bowl combine the first 9 ingredients (from the diced peaches to the 1 T. red pepper flakes). Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Using the cooking spray, lightly spray an 8 inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, sliced green onions and red pepper flakes.
- Whisk together well, making a well in the center.
- In a small bowl combine the buttermilk, oil and egg.
- Whisk well.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until just moist.
- Spoon batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat melt butter.
- Add ham to pan and saute for 2-3 minutes, turning once.
- Cut shortcake into small squares.
- Place 1 piece cornbread centered on each plate.
- Top each with salsa, ham, another square of shortcake, off centered, and salsa again.