1 hr 10 mins
I'm all for the unusual. This is delightfully unusual and delish! Adapted from Cooking Light.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups diced fresh peaches
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, diced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 slices smoked ham
- 1In a medium glass bowl combine the first 9 ingredients (from the diced peaches to the 1 T. red pepper flakes). Cover and chill.
- 2Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 3Using the cooking spray, lightly spray an 8 inch square baking pan.
- 4In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, sliced green onions and red pepper flakes.
- 5Whisk together well, making a well in the center.
- 6In a small bowl combine the buttermilk, oil and egg.
- 7Whisk well.
- 8Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until just moist.
- 9Spoon batter into the prepared baking pan.
- 10Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 11Remove and cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- 12In a large skillet over medium high heat melt butter.
- 13Add ham to pan and saute for 2-3 minutes, turning once.
- 14Cut shortcake into small squares.
- 15Place 1 piece cornbread centered on each plate.
- 16Top each with salsa, ham, another square of shortcake, off centered, and salsa again.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornbread Shortcake With Smoked Ham and Peach Salsa-Savory
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.4
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 63.1 mg
- Sodium 1069.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 15.9 g