Recipe by Chef Sunshine
Layers of cornbread, pickles, tomatoes, bell peppers and onions with a mayo dressing. Delicious!
Top Review by DR Gray
This is the definitive Cornbread Salad recipe. I have tried many but this has the best combination of flavors- Mixing pickle juice with the mayonaise kicks it up a notch above others. Good for potlucks -be sure to take copies of the recipe. Everyone loves it!
- 16 ounces cornbread-muffin mix
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 lb bacon
- 1⁄2 cup sweet pickle juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup chopped sweet pickle
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.
- Combine the cornbread muffin mix, eggs and milk, stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool crumble into bite-size chunks.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet.
- Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Whisk together the pickle juice and mayonnaise.
- In a large bowl layer 1/2 of the crumbled cornbread followed by the onion, pepper, tomatoes and pickles.
- Drizzle with 1/2 of the dressing and repeat.
- Top with bacon and chill for 1 hour.