Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lady brought this to our home study group potluck and it was wonderful. She gave me the basics of what was in it and here if what I have come up with. Turned out really good. Cook time does not include the time it takes to cook bacon and the cornbread. I cooked the bacon in the microwave.
- 7 cups cornbread, torn into bite size pieces (I used Southern Country Cornbread)
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dill pickle, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sweet pickle juice and peppers and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients, tossing well.
- Add the dressing mix to the cornbread mixture just before serving.
What a pleasant surprise! I just had to try this, wondering how this would taste. It was really good. I did not put the peppers in it, and I did use Miracle Whip for the mayo, but I tell you it did so remind me of a BLT !! I was really surprised!! Everyone loved it. My cornbread was pretty sweet, I was a little worried about that, but was good!
This is a recipe that I have used for years. I do leave the bell peppers out because of personal preference. I also add crumbled bacon to my version. Thanks for sharing!
This was very good. We loved the pickle relish in it. All the vegetables went together so nicely. Thanks for posting this recipe.