Recipe by PleasantNancy
My mom's recipe that she finally measured and wrote down the ingredients. You can't get any more Southern than this! Patties can be fried in bacon grease or vegetable oil, or a combination of both.
Top Review by sm2be
These were quick, easy, and hit the spot for our family! Kids used maple syrup on top, I like mine plain with butter. I think next time I'll add some roasted chiles to the batter for a bit of a different flavor. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white cornmeal (fine ground)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in frying pan, add enough oil to shallowly cover pan.
- Mix all ingredients and drop by one tablespoon to form small patties in hot oil.
- Brown on one side, flip and brown on the other side.
- Continue browning in batches, adding more oil as necessary.
- Serve immediately with butter.
- Can reheat any leftovers in toaster oven.