Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mom's recipe that she finally measured and wrote down the ingredients. You can't get any more Southern than this! Patties can be fried in bacon grease or vegetable oil, or a combination of both.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white cornmeal (fine ground)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Heat oil in frying pan, add enough oil to shallowly cover pan.
- Mix all ingredients and drop by one tablespoon to form small patties in hot oil.
- Brown on one side, flip and brown on the other side.
- Continue browning in batches, adding more oil as necessary.
- Serve immediately with butter.
- Can reheat any leftovers in toaster oven.
These were quick, easy, and hit the spot for our family! Kids used maple syrup on top, I like mine plain with butter. I think next time I'll add some roasted chiles to the batter for a bit of a different flavor. Thanks for the recipe!
Great recipe!!! Just right!!! I just started cooking with AP Flour and I found this recipe when I was in a very tight pinch for time. I already had a 6qt. crock pot full of beans for dinner that were done and I did not want to turn on my oven in the summer heat. Everyone was ready to eat...and I had already messed up one batch from another recipe....So I ran back to the internet and found this one and it worked. THANKS:)
Simple and tasty - perfect! I made these as a side with this chef's Scalloped Creole Green Beans #318037, and not only did they go well with them, but I was able to use the bacon grease from the green bean recipe to fry the patties. My guests were really pleased by these - thanks! Made for PAC Spring 2010.