Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my own interpretation of a cornbread salad I had in a local restaurant. I love the combination of flavors. I've included a recipe for cornbread, but you can replace it with another.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 ounces dill havarti cheese, cut into 1/4 in cubes
- 6 -8 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Generously butter an 8 inch square pan.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, honey, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Stir together sour cream, eggs and melted butter.
- Add to the dry ingredients; stir until just combined.
- Pour into the pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes, turn out onto cutting board.
- Let cool 10 more minutes, then cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Make sure oven is at 450, then toss the cornbread with 3 tbsp oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly.
- Return to bowl; add tomatoes, onion and salt.
- Whisk remaining oil and vinegar, then drizzle over salad.
- Stir in havarti and basil, if using.