Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I wanted to incorporate lemon and honey into an original cornbread recipe, and I had to add greek yogurt and cheddar cheese because...don't ask questions...just because. I used a light olive oil, but any vegetable oil is good.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cornmeal or 1 cup polenta
- juice and zest of one lemon
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup corn or 1⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees centigrade or 375 degrees fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- Combine all ingredients - EXCEPT CHEDDAR - into a large bowl and whisk to combine well - DO NOT OVERMIX. Add cheddar and blend just until incorporated.
- Distribute batter evenly. It will come to the top of each liner, but that's OK because they don't rise that much.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Delicious! We really loved these lightly lemony cornbread muffins. The lemon flavor is subtle and not overpowering. They are not too sweet, but sweet enough. The cheddar cheese added a slight saltiness that was very pleasing. The only thing I did differently was to use lemon Greek yogurt instead of plain. I think this helped boost the yummy lemon flavor. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper! **Made for Culinary Quest Express Round #1 - Suitcase Gourmets**
These were yummy!! I made 1/2 a batch just as directed and the other half, I must admit I changed a bit. There's only 2 of us in the house and I decided to make half "savory" and the other sweet. I usually don't post about significant changes I make, but the base recipe is soooo good, I can't help it. The original recipe is great and I like Bayhills review! For the "sweet" half, I just left the cheddar out and added fresh blueberries and topped with some chopped candied ginger. They were amazing. I got a full 16 muffins and for the two of us, I loved having one recipe I could use in two ways!! Thanks Ev! Made for Culinary Quest Express Round #1 - Int'l Agents of QUEST!