Recipe by evelyn/athens
I wanted to incorporate lemon and honey into an original cornbread recipe, and I had to add greek yogurt and cheddar cheese because...don't ask questions...just because. I used a light olive oil, but any vegetable oil is good.
Top Review by Bayhill
Delicious! We really loved these lightly lemony cornbread muffins. The lemon flavor is subtle and not overpowering. They are not too sweet, but sweet enough. The cheddar cheese added a slight saltiness that was very pleasing. The only thing I did differently was to use lemon Greek yogurt instead of plain. I think this helped boost the yummy lemon flavor. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper! **Made for Culinary Quest Express Round #1 - Suitcase Gourmets**
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cornmeal or 1 cup polenta
- juice and zest of one lemon
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup corn or 1⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees centigrade or 375 degrees fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- Combine all ingredients - EXCEPT CHEDDAR - into a large bowl and whisk to combine well - DO NOT OVERMIX. Add cheddar and blend just until incorporated.
- Distribute batter evenly. It will come to the top of each liner, but that's OK because they don't rise that much.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.