Recipe by V'nut-Beyond Redemption
This is an adopted recipe. I shall be trying it out and then post any additional information if needs be. Feel free to try it out first and share your comments!
Top Review by Chipfo
This is an Excelent cornbread mix! Born and raised in Texas, I find Jiffy mix way too sweet and recipes with no sugar kind of bland. This recipe has just a "hint" of sweetness, not too much, not too little, just right. My father, 63 years here in the south LOVES it. Don't let 3/4 cup of sugar to 8 1/2 cups of dry ingredients scare you, it is just right. To make it "cake-like" it would need at least 4 cups of sugar, according to most cake recipes (and Jiffy mix, which is cake-like). I used this recipe to make my sea food cornbread dressing and it is fabulous! Of course, you can leave the sugar out, you can even use half or all buttermilk, you can even bake it in a skillet if you wish, but I would try it as is first. Vel, you made no mistake by adopting this recipe, it is a keeper!
- 4 1⁄4 cups flour
- 4 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup baking powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients; cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To use: Stir in 2 cups corn bread mix with the egg and milk just until moistened (the batter will be lumpy).
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 425F for 20-25 minutes or until bread tests done.