Recipe by PaulaG
I can't believe this isn't already posted. This is a super easy way to make cornbread fast. Keep this in your pantry and all you will need to add is some water, oil and an egg for cornbread. The recipe is from Make-A-Mix Cookery. I usually use 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 all-purpose flour.
Top Review by PAUL P.
Excellent mix. I like to substitute 1 cup of dry buttermilk powder for 1 cup of the powdered milk and use 1/2 cup of sugar. Perfect Southern style cornbread! I'm also thinking about adding powdered eggs to the mix if I can work out the correct ratio...
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 1⁄2 cups cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredeints stirring well with a wire whisk until evenly distributed.
- Put in a large airtight container, label, store in a cool dry place.
- This mix should be used in 10 to 12 weeks.
- To bake the cornbread: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly oil an 8-inch square pan or round cast iron pan. Spread the batter in pan and bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Please note: If using a cast iron pan, place a small amount of oil in pan and place it in the oven while preheating. Putting the batter into a hot cast iron pan helps to create a golden brown crust.