Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made a few minor changes to the original recipe printed in Bon Appetit (December 1992). Original recipe was printed as a request for corn bread served in Le Bus resturant.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup melted margarine or 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Spray 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and dust with corn meal.
- Mix first six ingredients (flour- salt) in large bowl.
- Mix eggs, melted margarine/oil, milk in small bowl.
- Add egg mixture and corn to dry ingredients.
- Stir until combined.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
I made this to go with our Chili tonight. Very good! We like a sweet cornbread and this really complimented our spicy chili. Next time, instead of eating it right away, I will let it cool a bit because it crumbled aound the edges some when I went to slice it.
Made this tonight to go with Mole Chili. cut the sugar back to 1/2 cup. Loved it! Will definitely make it again.
This is a super corn bread loaf!.......made it for dinner last night with baked chicken. It was moist and baked out very nice.....It is hard to find good corn bread recipes, as usually they turn out dry, but not this one!....The only thing I changed was I didn't have frozen corn, so I added one large can of corn niblets, drained of course. Thanx for a great recipe ellie2, I will be making this again! :-)