Recipe by momEgodess
I got this vegetarian recipe from a friend in CA...it is so good you won't miss the meat if you make a nice tossed salad and fresh fruit for dessert. So simple to put together and then just toss in the oven.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried lentils, sorted and rinsed (10 oz)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (6 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in 3 qt saucepan over med-hi heat.
- Cook onion, pepper, and garlic in oil. Stir frequently until veggies are tender.
- Stir in water, lentils, tomato sauce and seasoning mix.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Partially cover and simmer 35 to 40 min or until lentils are tender.
- Heat oven to 400 °.
- Lightly grease 2-quart casserole (or a 9x13 pan, as Terri does.)
- Prepare cornbread topping by mixing all ingredients until moistened.
- Spoon lentil mixture into casserole, then spread topping evenly over lentil mixture.
- Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes until topping is golden brown.
- Loved the following with the green onion addition, too yummy!
- **Used half of the following when I didn’t have Jiffy on hand. I also put some green onions in the corn bread.
- • 1 cup all-purpose flour.
- • 1 cup yellow cornmeal.
- • 2/3 cup white sugar.
- • 1 teaspoon salt.
- • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder.
- • 1 egg.
- • 1 cup milk.
- • 1/3 cup vegetable oil.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.