Recipe by Denise in da Kitchen
I tried this while I was visiting my sister in North Carolina. A friend brought it over and I asked for the recipe immediately. It is a very good, easy and different pot luck salad.
Top Review by hepcat1
We loved this salad! A tasty way to get your veggies with a nice presentation. I made a few changes...black beans in place of pinto, fresh corn, a mexican blend cheese, and I added about 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, around a tsp. of cumin and 1/2 tsp. cayenne to the "dressing"...I guess the changes made it a bit more "southwest", but that's the way we like it! I also put some of the tomatoes in the center of the salad (where you can't see them) and saved just a few for the top, adding a few extra sprigs of cilantro as a garnish. Oh! And I added a bit of chopped red onion since I thought the top needed a little extra color. I really wasn't sure how I would feel about the cornbread being in the salad as opposed to on the side, but it really makes the salad something special. I'll definitely use this recipe as a side dish for a summer bbq, which I tend to have quite often. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!! ps...sorry my pic is a bit fuzzy, darn camera!
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare cornbread according to box directions; bake and cool completely.
- Crumble cornbread into a 2 quart glass serving bowl.
- Layer with onions, red pepper, corn and beans.
- In a small bowl, combine mayo and sour cream; spread over the veggies.
- Sprinkle with tomatoes and cheese.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.