Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 30 mins
My DH's mother, Nana makes this cold cornbread layer salad for us when we are up for a visit....if we are lucky. I asked and asked for the recipe and one day I was delighted to get an envelope with her handwritten recipes so we can continue the tradition. Prep time INCLUDES chill time of 3 hours and time to make the jiffy mix cornbread. Nana says that you should only use Jiffy in this cause other cornbreads just aren't the same-I think that's because it's sweet.
For first layer
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons melted shortening or 2 teaspoons butter
For second layer
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium vidalia onion, chopped
- 9 slices bacon (fried and broken up)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet pickle relish
For third layer
- 1⁄2 cup sweet pickle juice
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- Make Jiffy cornbread like this: Grease a 9 inch cast iron skillet or a 9 inch glass baking dish. Mix together first 5 ingredients (mix through shortening) and bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and top is golden. Cool and break into pieces in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix together: chopped tomatoes, chopped Vidalia onion, cooked bacon pieces, chopped bell pepper and 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish.
- In still yet another bowl, mix together mayo and pickle juice.
- In a 13x9 glass pan that you have sprayed with nonstick, layer half of bread, half of vegetable mixture and half of mayo mixture, then layer once more in the same order. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Overnight is fine.